However, mine was an accidental mistake! In the midst of weighing the ingredients, I then realized that I didn't have 8 eggs white (280g) to make this cake. "Oh-uh"...That's what my son would say. Since I have weighed out the rest of the ingredients, I might as well making this cake with 5 egg white and add more yolk in this case. I have added 5 egg yolk to bulk up the volume of the cake batter so that it can fit into my chiffon pan.
As expected, it didn't rise as high as it should be...but surprisingly, it was great mistake! It turns out to be a rich mud cake with less guilty ingredients. My toddler son loves the cake texture so much that he finished a large slice all by himself and was asking for a 2nd serve. My husband even commented that this chocolate cake is what people would pay in a good restaurant and I was like "really?" but deep down inside, I was smiling...LOL
60g Semi-sweet Chocolate
80g egg yolk (I use 5 egg yolk)
80g cake Flour
¼ tsp salt
80g Cocoa powder
280g egg white (I use 5 egg whites)
chocolate ganache glaze
75g Whipping cream (I use 100ml cream)
40g Butter (I didn't use any butter)
100g Quality dark chocolate (I use 100g dark chocolate)
1. Double-boil (A), stir till mixed. Set aside to cool.
2. Whisk (B) till pale in colour & stir in the chocolate mixture from step 1.
3. Add (C), whisk till combined
4. Sieve in (D)
5. Whisk white till medium peak
6. Fold in 1/3 white into the egg/chocolate mixture
7. Fold in the rest of white gently. The egg/chocolate mixture will be thick & creamy, hence fold in the white gently. Do not deflate the whites.
8. Pour batter into 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bake at 170°C for about 50mins.
9. Over-turn pan to cool cake
10. Double-boil whipping cream + chocolate + butter. Stir till melt and well-blended
(I mixed both chocolate and cream together and microwave them in low power until the chocolate melts. I prepare the fresh ganache whenever we want to eat the cake.)
11. Pour ganache glaze onto cooled cake (I served the cake with warm chocolate ganache)
12. Cool to set
Please support me and like me at Facebook.