I love making these cupcakes and my ultimate accomplishment is to enjoy the kids' reaction to these cute little cupcakes...
Funny that the kids loves the Lightning McQueen and the King cupcakes but didn't want to touch the Chick cupcakes. This shows that everyone wants to be the "good guys" since young. The kids were observing the details of the character on their cupcakes and was eating them part by part. My son loves his lightning McQueen cupcake. He was holding on his cake so much that he didn't even want to bite it...I love my silly boy.
This is how I made these cupcakes...
The cupcakes are made with the same recipe that I made the Lightning McQueen cake. The recipe (with 3 eggs) makes 15 of the standard size cupcakes.
1. Colour rolled fondant with red, blue, green and black (tyres) edible coloring.
2. Roll out the coloured fondant into 3-4mm thick and cut into shapes.
3. Use small circle cookie cutter to cut black fondant into shapes of car tyres. Cut the red, green and blue fondant into the shapes of the cars characters. Fix 2 black tyres into each car.
4. Use edible writing pens (I used the Americolor Gourmet Writer Food Marker Pens) to draw the outline and feature of each car.
5. Painted the tyres and exhaust with edible silver and gold paint.
6. Allow the character to dry and firm up (this may take longer than a couple of hours depending on the humidity)
6. Combine 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 tbsp water and pipe around the edges of each digestive biscuit. Allow icing to set for 10-15 min. Thin icing with extra water until the right consistency and fill up the biscuit with the thinned icing. Place character icing onto the icing immediately. Allow icing to set.
7. Fix the biscuit into the cupcake using melted chocolate.
8. Sit back, relax and enjoy watching the kids eating these cupcakes.