This is the recipe chosen by Mich from Piece of Cake being our 35th THB bake. THB is an baking event organised by my friend, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours. With a group of gorgeous ladies, we are baking all recipes from the book, "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas until every recipe from this book has been baked.
At first glance, I see this recipe like a streusel cake canvas. It looks like a streusel cake that allows any addition of fruits and nuts that suits each individual taste. Guess what I have added to mine? Look closely...
|This is my pecan streusel coffee cake...|
|This is how I made my streusel topping.|
|Mixing my cake batter|
|Spot anything yet?|
|See anything unusual here?|
|Here is my pecan streusel cake... Yum!|
Trust me... I did add something extra.
|This is the slice of cake that I enjoyed... Can see anything extra?|
When I first saw that the streusel topping in this recipe containing butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan, I was related this combination to salted caramel. Glad that I added salt as I really like the salty-sweet version of this cake!!!
The cake has a slight dense and bouncy texture and taste very well with salted-caramel-like nutty crumbly streusel. Sweet! ... And deliciously salty! LOL!
Being the rule of this event, only the host of the chosen bake can post the recipe in her blog post. Please visit Mich from Piece of Cake for the detailed recipe of this bake.
And, here are the notes and modifications that I made for my bake.
My ingredients list (which is 1/2 amount of the recipe):
30g cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
25g all-purpose flour
50g light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
60g pecan pieces
a good pinch of sea salt - my extra addition
30g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
20g light brown sugar
20g caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
Modifications that I have made from the original:
- Instead of using the full amount of the recipe, I have used 1/2 amount to bake a small cake in 10 x 20 cm loaf pan instead of baking the cake in a 9 inch springform pan.
- The amount of light brown sugar and caster sugar added into the cake batter are reduced to 20g each. Original is 1/2 cup each for full amount.
- Instead of using baking soda, I have replaced it with extra baking powder.
- I have added a good pinch of sea salt in the streusel topping to yield a sweet salty caramel-like taste.
- The cakes were baked at 160°C fan forced for 35 min and the testing skewer inserted come out clean.